The Wheatland Cemetery was established on April 22, 1840, when Edward T. Durant and his wife, Sally Ann, deeded a piece of land to the newly appointed Trustees. They were Robert Clow Jr., Joseph B. Wait and Solomon Simmons.
By 1950, there were thirteen (13) soldiers buried in the cemetery. One (1) was in the War of 1812, six (6) in the Civil War, four (4) in World War One and two (2) in World War Two. Many more veterans have since been interred with them.
In April 2000 at the Wheatland Township Annual Meeting, the Wheatland Cemetery Trustees turned over the deed and operations of the cemetery to the Wheatland Township Government. The Wheatland Township Cemetery is located on 104th Street between Plainfield/Naperville Road and Book Road. Currently, there are 1734 grave sites currently marked and about an acre for the designation of additional grave sites.
Will County Historic Landmark
Wheatland Township's cemetery was recently named a County Landmark. The county presented a bronze plaque to the township, which reads, “Circa 1836 Wheatland Cemetery. This property has been designated a Will County Historic Landmark, Feb. 17, 2011. Will County Historic Preservation and the Will County Board.”
Click Here to Read the Full Article.